Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lesson #1: Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And I am none of those things.

I'm here. How are you feeling?

Many of you know me as the girl who conquered the wild, but I have an all new project up my sleeve. Law school. "Project" is a funny word, huh.

My mountains have turned from dirt roads to paved hills. My pleasure reads to case law. My four earwig-covered walls to a sexy high rise. Pick-up trucks to subway cars. Late mornings and early nights to early morning and late nights. And best friends to legal dictionaries. Needless to say, life is a bit different.

I've had a full couple weeks of anxieties and stressers, to-do lists and lists of to-do lists. It looked something like this:

Things worth stressing about
  1. Pages and pages of reading
  2. Rainy, cold, gray, and miserable weather, and being indoors for most of it. 
  3. Moving, moving, and lots of moving
  4. I don't have money
  5. Don't stress about not having money
  6. Adjusting to city-life (i.e. mean faces, no car, lots of expense)
  7. Becoming Rani and Tom's little, needy sister and the potential payback that may allow her.
  8. Not stressing (Make a list of de-stressers)
There's more. Obviously.

I'm two weeks in and so far, law school and Boston are rocking my world. NUSL is a law school unlike no other. I am sure of it. Not only have we received compliments on our intelligence and good looks, they said ensured that everyone would be a lawyer at the end of three years if we pay attention, think, and use our resources. At least someone is sure! All the faculty members we met during Orientation were warm, friendly, not intimidating, and had interests in international affairs, civil liberties, the environment, progressive politics, minority and education equality, and other topics that inspire and support the areas I want to study and pursue. Who knew that I would find a law school so tailored to my interests and needs!

And unlike what Elle (Legally Blonde) was told, law school is not for people who are boring and ugly and serious. There are some seriously cool people in law school. People to be reckoned with. People to be inspired by. People like... me?

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh so much cursive i might die!

    ps HAHAHAHAHA i will enjoy laughing at your every struggle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was first but I couldn't post my comments. I am devastated. Yeah Amyvslaw. so great to see you up and writing again.

    ReplyDelete