Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Law School Exam #1

Today was a very important day in my law school career. I took my very first exam. Ok, so it was a practice exam but still... it was the very first law school exam I ever sat and let me tell you, I was blown away.

The question kind of went like this...

Yadda yadda yadda Count 1 for breach of contract yadda yadda yadda Count 2 against the second defendant do be do be do Injunction la de da what should I do?

Except those 30 words were more like 3 pages double spaced. And the "yadda yaddas" and the "do be dos" and the "la de das" were actually real, relevant words (that kind of read the same way).

My practice exam was 1 question, 1 hour long on the topic of civil procedure. My task, as "junior law clerk" was to advise the "law firm partner" on how to approach a complaint served on our "client." I spent 20 minutes just reading and outlining the question and in the remaining 40, managed to put together what I thought was a pretty thorough and concise answer.

Unless, of course, I missed something big.

Something totally obvious.

Which would have totally redirected my response.

Oy.

But its over. And its not graded. And its totally anonymous but for a randomly generated student ID. And the "law firm partner" (aka my professor) will give me feedback in a couple weeks.

I. CAN'T. WAIT.

I have spent all my free time in the last several days outlining, reviewing, re-outlining, re-reviewing, and studying for this test. I haven't slept well (too much on my mind), haven't had time to grocery shop (really out of the way), and am so far behind on the TV shows I try to catch on Hulu.

So, what did I do with my free time this afternoon?

  1. Bought groceries. Love Trader Joes. 
  2. Returned dumb impulse buys at Forever XXI. 
  3. Got a latte on Mom. Technically not on Mom, since I paid. But, it was her idea.
  4. Watched The Sing Off and Up All Night and Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition on Hulu.
  5. Subsequently cried from watching Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition on Hulu. I'm going though an "emotional time" and "don't want to talk about it" because I "cry" about "everything." 
  6. Laundry. Still doing laundry. 
  7. Re-inflated my exercise ball. It was looking sad. 
  8. Watered my aloe plant. Long overdue. 
  9. Put on fake tanner. And then let it dry. For 10 minutes. Benefits of living alone.
Lastly, an oath:

I, Amy Pimentel, promise to not neglect my blog and write more often. 

4 comments:

  1. Peapod - free delivery for the first 60 days. Let them bring the groceries to you!
    -Shan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My answer: blah blah blah the bastard is guilty la de da make him pay yadda yadda yadda order in the court. DO I PASS??

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu have 2 plants to care for now honey!!!!
    Hope the latte was delicious. One exam down!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no need for that oath. seriously...please don't.

    ReplyDelete